b Riding East: Granados and Ravel

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Granados and Ravel

I recently performed again in the Stanford Noon Concert Series as part of Professor George Barth's studio. It has been a busy quarter, and so I was less ambitious this time around. Our new daughter Sabine arrived on May 12th. She is so unique and beautiful. Her cry has a quality of sweetness. In addition to finishing my last quarter of classes for my program, I'm also starting a new company, and have been spending a lot of time over at Bessemer Venture Partners in Menlo Park. And I'm coaching my son's little league baseball team. And so I was less ambitious for this concert.

I chose two Granados pieces because I promised recordings to my friends in the film school, specifically Charlene and Mike. They created a wonderful documentary film on the lives of three young people trying out for circus school in Montreal. We discussed some potential musical material, and in the end, they liked the Granados. In order to avoid copyright issues, I've made these recordings for their film. It will soon become obvious to Charlene and Mike that there is a gap between my skills and those of Alicia de Larrocha. I also performed the Ravel Waltz in the style of Borodin at the concert, and took the opportunity to record it again to compare how my technique and style have evolved over the past year.

Danza II, en do menor (Oriental), Enrique Granados

Danza V, en mi menor (Andaluza), Enrique Granados

A la Manière De. . . Borodin, Maurice Ravel

1 Comments:

Blogger Sierravalleygirl said...

I don't remember what I googled on... but here I was stumbled upon your blog.
Congrats to you and T. on being parents of as-i-can-only-imagine such beautiful children. I am also happy that you are able to pursuit further the subject that reflects your other talent and as such it nurtures the soul.
I appreciated the beautiful work on this post and thanks for providing it.

Euterpe the Cup (formerly)

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home