Friday, August 25, 2006

Opus 6: Nocturnes

Opus 6

A set of nocturnes for chamber orchestra in which I, contrary to late 20th century wisdom, embrace song and dance.

(Lacking an orchestra, all "recordings" are generated by Cubase with virtual instruments.)

Nocturne #1
Nocturne #1 score

Dedicated to my wife Tina.

Nocturne #2
Nocturne #2 score

The B theme is lifted from Shostakovich String Quartet #1, Third Movement. Giancarlo wanted us to modulate to the flatted 6th, and here I do so (twice). It seems every time I visited Grandma and Grandpa Hillstead, they had that Lawrence Welk show on the T.V. I anticipate another arrangement here with some winds and brass.

Nocturne #3
Nocturne #3 score

I didn't realize that the A theme was lifted from Wagner's Tannhauser until Dr. Berger heard it. I was looking for a way to smooth out the progression on thirds and so introduced a secondary dominant—voila, Wagner. And by the way, don't argue at night—you are too tired and should simply go to sleep.

Nocturne #4
Nocturne #4 score

Dedicated to my brother Greg who is a little sharp, or rather lives in a world that is a little flat. I can only imagine what it must be like. You can't just modulate up a minor second. I wonder if Greg would be happy in Naples.

No comments: